Hope you’ve been jolly and gay with your paw-tastic buddies. Just got back from a little food shopping for my pets. While at it, I met with another pet parent who’s pet wasn’t keeping really well. Turns out it had to do with something he has eaten.
The pet parent was new and didn’t know much about the dangerous foods to keep them away from. It’s sad that the poor baby had to face discomfort. I take a lot of care when it comes to my pet’s diet. I give them foods that are completely safe for them to eat. So today, I’m listing a few food items that you must never feed your dogs.
Alcoholic beverages do no good to humans and definitely do no good to dogs. Alcohol in the least quantity causes a great deal of liver damage in dogs. It can cause vomiting, decreased coordination, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, central nervous system depression, tremors, coma, abnormal blood acidity and even death. Do not give your dog alcohol in any form.
Avocados may work wonders when it comes to humans but not for our little lovelies. Avocados come with a substance called persin that is toxic for dogs. Keep your lovely pets away from the tree if you grow it at home.
Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine
Caffeine and dogs don’t really work well together. Consumption of caffeine can be fatal for your pets. It can cause diarrhea, vomiting, panting, excessive thirst and urination, abnormal heart rhythm, hyperactivity, seizures, tremors and even death.
Grapes and Raisins
Although grapes and raisins are used widely as dog treats, they are known to cause kidney failure. Pets tend to feel lethargic, depressed and may vomit. So keep them sweet treats away from them.
The consumption of macadamia nuts tend to cause depression, weakness, muscle tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia in dogs. Beware of chocolates that come with nuts, as they can be really fatal for them.
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Raw meat and eggs come with bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that tend to be harmful to both, pets and humans. They can cause food poisoning that can be fatal in 3 weeks time. It can cause fever, big lymph nodes and vomiting. Cook your meat thoroughly to kill all the harmful parasites.
Milk and Dairy
The ability to break down the lactose in milk is absent in most pets, which is why they must be kept away from milk and other dairy-based products to avoid diarrhea or other allergy.
Sugary Foods and Drinks
Consumption of high levels of sugar can do the same thing to dogs that it does to humans. Such foods tend to cause dental problems, obesity, and possibly the onset of diabetes.
Diet plays a major role in the overall health and wellbeing in humans and pets. We must be very careful about the food that our pets eat, as it can have fatal effect on them. Consult with your vet to know what your lovely pet can and cannot eat. Doing so will only help you safeguard the health of your pets.
Until next time!
Have a woof-tastic day!